Sunday, November 14, 2010

The bees knees

I was going to call these the Prison Break leggings, but considering the target market thought better of it!



These were a lot of fun to make and it was a great project for Miss C to get involved with.

The leggings are a basic elastic waist legging made up in a nice soft cotton elastane and we made the stripe using my favourite art material, masking tape!
We just placed strips of tape across the fabric (it helps if you stretch the fabric slightly before taping so that the print will stretch with the fabric on the body) and then used a cheap foam roller to roll the paint onto the fabric. No need to be precise as the tape acts as a mask, so when you rip it off you have nice clear stripes.






I like how the paint took to the fabric in a slightly random way, giving a textured effect.

These are in the shop now!

If you are interested, I used Permaset fabric paint for the stripe. I used to use this stuff all the time when I did a lot of screen printing and the formula now is fantastic, kid friendly, non toxic and once it has been heat set you can bung it in the wash without fear of it running or fading.

I know that you can get textile mediums that claim to make any paint suitable for fabric, but personally I don’t trust them. Permaset is definitely the best that I have tried. It is quite thick but you can water it down to create wash like effects which can be quite nice.

I am really keen to do more pieces like this, we had a great time!

5 comments:

Clare said...

These are fab! I liked them when I first saw them but then read you'd printed them yourself - brilliant! Best of luck with your shop, I love what's in it so far.

Karin said...

How cute! You are very clever/creative to come up with these. I am sure your daughter had a great time "helping."

beangirl said...

SOOPER cute! These will fly out the door.

Connie Cheung said...

I like the stripes and the way that fun to make them. The picture of the little girl really has the "wow" factor. Thanks for sharing this clever trick. ;)

Yoga and Zumba with Gaileee, E-RYT `n` Licensed Zumba Instructor said...

Those are cutE!